Level of Unicode support required for various languages

From: Timothy Armes (tarmes@fr.imaje.com)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2007 - 03:07:51 CDT

    Hi,

    I'm looking for accurate answers to the following questions. I've spent a lot of time trying to find this information but it doesn't appear to be readily available. I'm hoping that someone here can help me.

    1) How many and which languages absolutely require the use of combinging marks due to the fact there the pre-composed glyphs aren't sufficient?

    2) How many and which languages absolutely require the use of variant selectors?

    3) How many and which languages absolutely require the use of variant glyphs?

    Two and three are not quite the same since I believe that Arabic, for example, uses variant glyphs but doesn't need varient selectors (since the glyphs are chosen algorithmically).

    Regards,

    Tim Armes

    IMAJE: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. They may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you have received this email by mistake please notify Imaje immediately by responding to this e-mail and then delete it from your system without producing, distributing or retaining copies hereof. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.