Re: Level of Unicode support required for various languages

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2007 - 00:35:15 CDT

    John Knightley wrote,

    >With unicode itself scripts are allocated to the BMP or plane 1 based
    >largely on the principal of is there a modern user community of a
    >certain size, rather than put everything to the BMP. If the same had
    >been done with CJKV then things would look very different, many
    >Extension A characters would be in plane 2, or even plane 3, this
    >would leave space in the BMP for characters submitted later but or
    >modern use, and cjkv characters would follow the convention used for
    >almost every other script.

    Ah. Now I get it. But still think that CJKV encoding follows
    the conventions used for other scripts. First come, first served.
    When new Latin characters are proposed, there's no effort made
    to determine if they are rare or obsolete to see if they should
    go into Plane One rather than the BMP.

    With CJK, the addition of Extension A was put in the BMP because
    there was room for it, among other reasons. There wasn't room for
    Extension B, though.

    Anyway, I think we can all agree that, for the subject of this
    thread, any application supporting Unicode CJKV will need to
    support the higher planes.

    Best regards,

    James Kass