Re: Level of Unicode support required for various languages

From: David Starner (prosfilaes@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2007 - 07:01:37 CDT

    On 10/26/07, vunzndi@vfemail.net <vunzndi@vfemail.net> wrote:
    > With unicode itself scripts are allocated to the BMP or plane 1 based
    > largely on the principal of is there a modern user community of a
    > certain size, rather than put everything to the BMP. If the same had
    > been done with CJKV then things would look very different, many
    > Extension A characters would be in plane 2, or even plane 3, this
    > would leave space in the BMP for characters submitted later but or
    > modern use, and cjkv characters would follow the convention used for
    > almost every other script.

    But there's several issues to note here. Scripts are kept together; it
    was natural to fill the Han ideograph section of the BMP first and
    then overflow to another plane. In some real sense, you can see that
    happening with stuff being added to Plane 1; there are collections
    that have definite modern use that are being added to Plane 1 instead
    of the BMP. I can see strong arguments to encode Blisssymbols in the
    BMP instead of Plane 1, if there were the space.

    Also, a modern user community includes scholars. Many of the first
    scripts encoded in Plane 1 were opposed, because, as Nick Nicholas's
    essay "Don't Proliferate; Transliterate!"
    <http://www.tlg.uci.edu/~opoudjis/unicode/unicode_epichorica.html>
    points out, scholars generally don't actually write in Cuneiform or
    Egyptian Hieroglyphics*. The characters that scholars actually use are
    encoded in the Latin section of the BMP. Are there a significant
    number of characters that would rarely see print today even in
    scholarly editions of old works? That's the convention used for other
    works.

    *IMO, whether or not scholars write in hieroglyphics is irrelevant to
    the popular need for encoding what is written in popular Egyptology
    books, like the ever-reprinted books of Budge. But that's beside the
    point.