Re: Component Based Han Ideograph Encoding (WAS: Level of Unicode support required for various languages)

From: Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven (asmodai@in-nomine.org)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2007 - 07:38:40 CST

    -On [20071030 14:25], Ed Trager (ed.trager@gmail.com) wrote:
    >My (limited) understanding is that SKIP is an indexing system for
    >Kanji devised for the purpose of organizing Kanji in dictionaries and
    >similar resources. I would be skeptical whether a system designed for
    >one purpose would be complete enough or appropriately architected to
    >be used for an entirely different purpose (i.e., encoding of unencoded
    >Kanji). SKIP might nevertheless contain useful ideas for an encoding
    >system.

    You are completely right Ed, it is used (almost) exclusively for indexing.
    However from what I understand from it it does cut up kanji by individual
    parts, which at least partially comes in line with what you were looking for.
    At least it might provide ideas to work from.

    For my own project at http://www.rangaku.org/ I've been looking at ways for
    allowing users to construct their kanji based on parts in order to get
    dictionary results. I guess my usage falls in between SKIP and your idea/goal.
    It definitely is something I am personally interested in, though, and would
    love to help work on.

    イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
    http://www.in-nomine.org/ | http://www.rangaku.org/
    The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful
    servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has
    forgotten the gift...