Re: Level of Unicode support required for various languages

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2007 - 16:41:46 CST

    On Oct 30, 2007, at 3:32 PM, John H. Jenkins wrote:

    > The "not to encode" status is supposed to mean that either it's
    > already encoded or is a variant of an already encoded variant. (Not
    > necessarily a unifiable variant, BTW.) I have an action item to
    > wrap all of the variants into a registered variant set under UTS 37.

    Actually, a slight correction. There are two characters in the UTC
    set which have the "not to encode" status for another reason:
    UTC00118 and UTC00326. The former is, essentially, a dingbat
    occurring in some of the novels by Orson Scott Card, and the latter is
    my standard dummy character used to illustrate the compositional
    nature of the Han script.

    =====
    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com