Re: Encoding Personal Use Ideographs (was Re: Level of Unicode support required for various languages)

From: Ed Trager (ed.trager@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2007 - 07:17:32 CST

    Hi, Ben and list colleagues,

    In the particular case of the glyph for Ben's name, is it not already
    within the realm of possibility to construct and OpenType font that,
    upon seeing the sequence "⿵門龍" would substitute a single "ligtaure"
    glyph via the GSUB table or some other similar mechanism?

    I'm sure that someone among the many typography experts on this list
    can confirm or deny this.

    If for some reason the current OpenType standard and rendering engines
    are, for whatever reason, not quite up to the task, which seems
    unlikely, then surely SIL's Graphite technology could be used to
    create such a font, right?

    A number of Open Source CJKV font creation projects are already in
    existence. Of these, the most famous is probably the 文泉驿 Wen Quan Yi
    project:

                http://wqy.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi

    The project started with the goal of designing a human-tuned bitmap
    font because Hanzi with many strokes are just too often difficult to
    read on computer screens when rendered from outline fonts, and CJKV
    hinting is just impossible. Now the project also has an online
    Ajax-based vector-based glyph design application:

                http://wqy.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi?VectorAjax

    Has this well-organized and popular project already begun to tackle
    the issues of historical and variant Hanzi whose composition might be
    uniquely specifiable via the Ideographic Description characters (IDS)
    ? I have no idea.

    But clearly they might have an interest in doing so now or in the near
    future. If there is a community of volunteers (hint, hint) interested
    in contributing to such an effort, then it can happen.

    And, as a reward, volunteers may get the chance to encode their own
    special IDS-based "ligature" ideographs directly into this
    widely-used, widely-distributed Open Source font. Sounds like a good
    deal to me! :-)

    Best - Ed Trager