Re: Encoding Personal Use Ideographs (was Re: Level of Unicode support required for various languages)

From: vunzndi@vfemail.net
Date: Thu Nov 01 2007 - 21:02:44 CST

    Quoting Ed Trager <ed.trager@gmail.com>:

    > Hi, Ben and list colleagues,
    >
    > In the particular case of the glyph for Ben's name, is it not already
    > within the realm of possibility to construct and OpenType font that,
    > upon seeing the sequence "???" would substitute a single "ligtaure"
    > glyph via the GSUB table or some other similar mechanism?
    >
    > I'm sure that someone among the many typography experts on this list
    > can confirm or deny this.

    Yes there are many ways to do this. This was discussed earlier in this
    thread. I would prefere the concept of 'render' to 'substitute'

    > If for some reason the current OpenType standard and rendering engines
    > are, for whatever reason, not quite up to the task, which seems
    > unlikely, then surely SIL's Graphite technology could be used to
    > create such a font, right?
    >
    > A number of Open Source CJKV font creation projects are already in
    > existence. Of these, the most famous is probably the ??? Wen Quan Yi
    > project:
    >
    > http://wqy.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi
    >
    > The project started with the goal of designing a human-tuned bitmap
    > font because Hanzi with many strokes are just too often difficult to
    > read on computer screens when rendered from outline fonts, and CJKV
    > hinting is just impossible. Now the project also has an online
    > Ajax-based vector-based glyph design application:
    >
    > http://wqy.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi?VectorAjax
    >
    > Has this well-organized and popular project already begun to tackle
    > the issues of historical and variant Hanzi whose composition might be
    > uniquely specifiable via the Ideographic Description characters (IDS)
    > ? I have no idea.
    >
    > But clearly they might have an interest in doing so now or in the near
    > future. If there is a community of volunteers (hint, hint) interested
    > in contributing to such an effort, then it can happen.

    I have been looking at using the opensource arphic uming.ttf. With the
    help of a few volunteers, we have already made over 7 000 pua
    characters and hope to add another 7 000 pua characters in the next 12
    months, as well as increasing the support of the font for encoded
    characters from the present 20 000 plus by another 10 000 in the next
    12 months. (There is also a ukai.ttf if there is enough manpower).

    I looked at the Wen Quan Yi some time back, and but could not see
    clearly which parts of the project are opensource and which are not. I
    would certainly appreciate being able to talk to some one form the
    project to see what areas there are for co-operation.

    Regards
    John Knightley

    > And, as a reward, volunteers may get the chance to encode their own
    > special IDS-based "ligature" ideographs directly into this
    > widely-used, widely-distributed Open Source font. Sounds like a good
    > deal to me! :-)
    >
    > Best - Ed Trager
    >

    > On 11/1/07, Ben Monroe <bendono@gmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >> The script is clearly Han, not a constructed script.
    >> In any case, I desire to use it whenever writing in Japanese, not just
    >> for a select limited audience. In the past, most people would not be
    >> bothered to install it.
    >> In which case, just using <U+2FF5 U+9580 U+9F8D> is the simplest. Even
    >> if someones environment does not render it as desired (likely), U+9580
    >> U+9F8D should still display.
    >>
    >> > (Which code point did you use?)
    >>
    >> I'm away from the computer with that font, so I'll have to check a
    >> little later.
    >>
    >> Ben Monroe

    This message sent through Virus Free Email
    http://www.vfemail.net