Re: Encoding Personal Use Ideographs (was Re: Level of Unicode support required for various languages)

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2007 - 19:50:39 CST

    Andrew West wrote,

    > If you were going to ask me what the "best" way to represent kanji
    > ligatures such as <U+2FF5 U+9580 U+9F8D> would be under an ideal
    > Unicode model, I would say as <U+9580 U+200D U+9F8D>, using ZWJ to
    > indicate the ligation, and smart fonts would ligate the two components
    > into a single glyph if they could. ...

    Your suggestion to use ZWJ turns out to actually be working in the
    real world. I've successfully tested a font which makes a substitution
    for <U+9580 U+200D U+9F8D>. A glyph from the PUA appears in the
    display instead of the string.

    Trying the same kind of set-up with the ideographic description
    character, however, does not work here. Unfortunately.

    Should the use of ZWJ in running CJK text to promote the formation
    of "ligatures" for the purpose of representing such personal characters
    be encouraged or discouraged? Do the Unicode mavens have any strong
    objections to such a practice?

    Best regards,

    James Kass