Re: Encoding Personal Use Ideographs (was Re: Level of Unicode support required for various languages)

From: vunzndi@vfemail.net
Date: Thu Nov 01 2007 - 23:14:36 CST

    Quoting James Kass <thunder-bird@earthlink.net>:

    > Andrew West wrote,
    >
    >> If you were going to ask me what the "best" way to represent kanji
    >> ligatures such as <U+2FF5 U+9580 U+9F8D> would be under an ideal
    >> Unicode model, I would say as <U+9580 U+200D U+9F8D>, using ZWJ to
    >> indicate the ligation, and smart fonts would ligate the two components
    >> into a single glyph if they could. ...
    >
    > Your suggestion to use ZWJ turns out to actually be working in the
    > real world. I've successfully tested a font which makes a substitution
    > for <U+9580 U+200D U+9F8D>. A glyph from the PUA appears in the
    > display instead of the string.

    Yes. Though this is proably a better way to describe characters like

    U+9584 &#38276; <U+9580 U+200D U+4EBA>

    and

    U+21B89 &#138121; <U+9580 U+200D U+5C0F>

    In fact it might be possible to map to a glyph in the font that does
    not actually have a unicode point atall, not even a PUA one.

    > Trying the same kind of set-up with the ideographic description
    > character, however, does not work here. Unfortunately.

    I am sure that there should be a way to map the IDS to a PUA glyph

    > Should the use of ZWJ in running CJK text to promote the formation
    > of "ligatures" for the purpose of representing such personal characters
    > be encouraged or discouraged? Do the Unicode mavens have any strong
    > objections to such a practice?
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > James Kass

    This message sent through Virus Free Email
    http://www.vfemail.net