RE: Tamil Sri / Shri

From: Bala (bala@cse.mrt.ac.lk)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2007 - 10:34:34 CST

    Hi,
    I am attaching the 2 images again here(sr/shri). (I guess my previous email had those images with larger size). This is from the பேரகராதி - dictionary published on 1938.

    a) it's very true. Tamil always given priority for the phonetics not to the glyph/character. The known first grammar book in Tamil is Tholkappiyam (more than 2000 years old). In this book there is only one placed mentioned about the glyph/character. Which is saying the pure consonants will have the pulli. (the dot at the top of consonant). Other than that all phonetics.
    But these grammars well written in a way how the phonetics will get changed at each place. Tamil person by nature will use these phonetics without learning the grammar.
    For an example
    பாலா will be pronounced as "Bala"
    பார்வதி will be pronounced as "Parvathi"
    You can see the பா pronounced as Ba and Pa.

    Also Tamil does not have glyph/character for every phonetic sound. For an example ka, kha, ga, and gha sounds written using only by ka-க.
    Even for ha sound there is no letter in Tamil. It has borrowed the letter from Grantha script(ஹ). Even though the "kaham" is written as காகம் not காஹம். But it pronounced as "kaham"

    b)
    from my understanding the Grantha scripts influenced the Tamil, Malayalam and Sinhala scripts. Please see the following link for the further details.
    http://www.ancientscripts.com/sa_ws.html

    Problem
    There are two sri/shri are been borrowed to the Tamil. We have text as well. Both sri / shri been used in same books.

    Thank you
    Kind Regards
    Bala