Tamil Sri / Shri

From: Bala (bala@cse.mrt.ac.lk)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2007 - 01:08:39 CST

    Hi James,

    ---------------------
    Jamas wrote ;
    " So, I'm wondering how the symbol which represents the god Luxmi, benevolence, and/or good fortune is used in text.
    You mention that the other dictionary also uses the same form.
    Do the words listed in Pic1 ever get written using the symbol at the top of Pic1?"
    ---------------
    This time I am attaching the 2nd dictionary. Which was published in 1938 and well recognized dictionary called "பேரகராதி"
    Again in this "ஸ்ரீகண்டன்" is same in both. I guess there is no mythological / religious different between "சிவன்" and "சிவபெருமான்".

    In the page 1 ஸ்ரீ is used to describe the god luxmi. And the rest of text follows the other sri/shri. And again 3rd word ஸ்ரீகரம் (other sri/shri shape) is god luxmi's feature.

    Also load Vishnu and load Rama is mentioned from this sri / Shri.

    Jamas wrote ;
    "It seems that the graphics you sent are related to this issue.
    I wonder if the words on Pic2 are more about teasing or frivolous aspects, and the words on the other scan are more about respectfulness, reverence, and thoughtfulness?"

    yes the earlier image picture 2 sri/shri is more about respectfulness. To write சிவஸ்ரீ and பிரம்மஸ்ரீ this been used. But those were not written on those dictionary but when I spooked with some people who can read Grantha they mentioned that. Anyway I looking for some Grantha books, when I find those I will upload here. (In Sri Lanka here are still books printed using the Grantha scripts! - I know this is out of scope for this discussion)

    Kind Regards
    Bala