RE: Does the Egyptian Hieroglyphic proposal support Budge?

From: Saqqara (saqqara@saqqara.org)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2007 - 16:26:04 CST

    The hieroglyphic repertoire used in the Budge Dictionary (of around 3000
    signs) used a font by Harrison & Sons rather than the Holzhausen (Vienna)
    font - dropped due to the inconvenience of the Great War. Both Holzhausen
    and Harrison are expansions of the Theinhardt font originally created for
    Lepsius. The Dover reprint of the dictionary omits the full font listing.
    His early publications used a much smaller repertoire but this grew over
    time.

    So the short answer is much but not all can be represented in the current
    Unicode set. Gardiner (the source for this set) was mainly focussed on
    Middle Egyptian so you will meet deficiencies in topics such as older
    material (e.g. Pyramid Texts) and Late/Ptolemaic texts.

    My private zone (EGPZ) list (also around 3000 signs at v1.0 and a superset
    of the Unicode repertoire) was not influenced by Budge but nevertheless does
    have some useful overlap with Theinhardt/Holzhausen/Harrison/.

    In any event, you will probably want to transcribe into a 'Manuel de Codage'
    (MdC type) format as used by Egyptologists in the first instance (at least
    for any work planned for the near/medium term).

    Bob Richmond
    saqqara@saqqara.org

    From David Starner:

    Does the current Egyptian Hieroglyphic proposal support the works of
    E. A. Budge? I know that Budge gets little respect among
    Egyptologists, but 20 of his works are in print by Dover Publications
    and widely disseminated, and they're somewhere on my list to scan and
    transcribe for Project Gutenberg. As extremely popular works, I'd like
    to know that I could accurately represent them in Unicode Egyptian.