Non-Han Han characters (was Re: Level of Unicode support required for various languages)

From: vunzndi@vfemail.net
Date: Mon Nov 05 2007 - 20:47:02 CST

    Han characters were first used by the Han people (commonly called
    Chinese) but there writing system has been adapted and used by many
    different ethnic groups in China. In the same way that even though one
    can find many words used in English in a French dictionary, the wrords
    are not suffcient to write sentances English. (maybe some one would
    like to try to see what type of English sentance can be written just
    usng French words). In the same way the charcters found in Han
    dictionaries are insuffcient to write sentances in other languages
    using Han characters.

    below are teo links to a 1991 article written in English that talks
    about among other things in items (1) to (8) about Non Han groups that
    use Han characters.

    html version <http://sino-platonic.org/complete/spp028_chinese_scripts.html>

    pdf version with bibliography
    <http://sino-platonic.org/complete/spp028_chinese_scripts.pdf>

    I would be interested to know if the Nam script is infact another name
    for Chu Nom. An example of the Nam script, is here
    <http://www.kam-tai.org.cn/Photo/PhotoShow.asp?PhotoID=220>
    , which will it contains several Chu Nom (such as U+24930, U+24930
    etc) also contains characters like U+2FF0 U+8EAB U+65A4 that I can
    find no reference to, and a few Zhuang charcters as well)

    Yours sincerely
    John Knightley

    This message sent through Virus Free Email
    http://www.vfemail.net