Re: Abkhasian pe with descender?

From: Andries Brouwer (aebr@win.tue.nl)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2007 - 16:18:56 CST

    Michael Everson wrote:
    > At 10:38 +0100 2007-11-09, Andries Brouwer wrote:
    >> Abkhasian has various cyrillic letters with descenders.
    >> I looked in vain for the Unicode value of the Abkhasian
    >> cyrillic small letter pe with descender.
    >> What did I overlook?
    >
    > Nothing. It's not encoded. Do you have examples of it in use?

    I have a book (from 2006). I could scan some text.
    Fortunately Eric Muller makes this unnecessary:

    : See also <http://www.unicode.org/udhr/n/notes_abk.html>.

    The picture http://www.unicode.org/udhr/n/abk/abkhaz10.png
    gives a good impression of the style of my book.
    In other words, one has җ ҷ ҭ ҳ қ ҧ etc., all with typographically
    identical descenders.
    On this abkhaz10.png you see small letter pe with descender
    for example on the one but last line, and the last four
    lines show six different letters with descender.

    Åke Persson suggests

    # I believe it should be:
    # U+04A7 CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER PE WITH MIDDLE HOOK

    and he may well be right. So perhaps this should be regarded
    as a font difference.

    Andries Brouwer