Re: Things to do with text

From: Ted Hopp (ted.hopp@newslate.com)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2007 - 08:45:30 CST

    One interesting application I've seen is cantillation synthesis of the
    Hebrew Bible. Kinnor Software (www.kinnor.com) markets a product called
    Trope Trainer that chants any selection from the Torah using a voice,
    pronunciation, and melody that the user selects. They have a free demo that
    gives a good idea of its capabilities. (For those unfamiliar with Jewish
    ritual practices, there is a tradition of weekly public readings from the
    Hebrew Bible. High priority is given to accuracy in chanting. This software
    is a study tool for readers.)

    The Kinnor software appears to be built on top of the DECtalk system
    developed in the 1980s. I don't know what data representation it (the Kinnor
    software) uses internally, but it's reasonable to think that the system is
    built on top of a straight text encoding. The musical aspects set it off
    from the usual text-to-speech application.

    Ted Hopp
    ZigZag, Inc.
    ted.hopp@newSLATE.com
    +1-301-990-7453