Re: Dotless J with stroke.

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2007 - 15:14:13 CST

    Russ Stygall wrote:

    > U+025F (LATIN SMALL LETTER DOTLESS J WITH STROKE) is incorrectly
    > described as "typographically a turned f ", since the stroke/bar of 'f'
    > is at 'x-height', which when turned would have the stroke/bar on the
    > 'baseline'. 'Dotless J with stroke', as illustrated in Unicode 5.1, is
    > at half 'x-height'!

    I have other questions about the design of this letter. Should it, in fact, be a j with a
    bar (the bar at the half-x-height as in the barred i)? Or should it be a turned f with the
    bar repositioned? Depending on the design of the typeface, it is not unusual for the
    descender terminal of the j to be very different from the ascending terminal of the f, so
    this character could look very different depending on the answer to this question (see
    attached).

    Of course, the dotless barred j form shown in the graphic is also going to be necessary as
    a glyph variant for soft-dotted U+0249

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com