Re: Display of Mongolian in Arabic or Hebrew documents

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 23 2007 - 06:20:36 CST

    On 23/11/2007, "André Szabolcs Szelp" <a.sz.szelp@gmx.net> wrote:

    > I've once seen a four-script dictionary: Chinese, Mongolian, Arabic (presumably
    > Uighur language) and Tibetan. That dictionary had a unique solution, it had all
    > the scripts in their original direction, but the layout was extrememly spacious
    > and generous, not saving with paper or book size :-) --- it's also not a dictionary
    > in the sense we know it; actually, more like a glossary giving one, at most two
    > words for each main entry, probably 18th or 19th century Asian production.

    There are a number of Qing dynasty polyglot dictionaries and
    glossaries, the most famous of which is the late 18th century
    "Imperial Pentaglot Dictionary" (御製五體清文鑑):

    <http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~corff/im/Buch/Pentaglot-2.html>

    But as you say, such dictionaries do not help us in our present
    discussion as the different scripts are not intermixed.

    Andrew