Re: How to write Armenian ligatures?

From: Behnam (behnam.rassi@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2007 - 12:09:15 CST

    I'm more with the view of John Hudson on this. Arabic script (among
    others) is not written on a line, but in a space. It's only the
    publishing industry limitations that forced it to be drawn on a line.
    It is not an assembly of letters but an assembly of words. And in
    contextualization, each letter should be substituted by a
    presentation form in plain text anyway.
    I'm certainly for some sort of convention in using for example ZWNJ
    in forcing ligatures in or out. But the 'correct' presentation of a
    text is in the eyes of beholder. The historic registration can be
    done by pictures. I don't think PDF is intended for this.
    Also the user option must be a hands-on feature, not hidden in the
    conceptualization of a font technology. At the risk of loosing my
    head here, I think Unicode should get more involved in the problem of
    dispersed font technologies.

    Behnam