Roman numerals (was Re: How to write Armenian ligatures?)

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2007 - 20:38:50 CST

    Justin Kerk quoted from the standard,

    > "For most purposes, it is preferable to compose the Roman numerals from
    > sequences of the appropriate Latin letters. However, the uppercase and
    > lowercase variants of the Roman numerals through 12, plus L, C, D, and
    > M, have been encoded for compatibility with East Asian standards."

    Based on the text quoted from the standard, it appears
    that CJK users are welcome to use Roman numerals, but
    Latin script users are discouraged from doing so.

    There are many things I like about the Unicode Standard,
    but assigning a character and then telling people they
    mustn't use it isn't one of them.

    Best regards,

    James Kass