Re: Vai word boundaries and line breaking

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2007 - 19:17:29 CST

    On 11/30/2007 4:33 PM, Michael Everson wrote:
    > At 16:15 -0800 2007-11-30, Peter Constable wrote:
    >> > From: Michael Everson [mailto:everson@evertype.com]
    >>
    >>> Modern Vai always uses spaces between words. As in the Bible I have
    >>> here. Manuscript Vai is less scrupulous about this, but the Right
    >>> Thing To Do is treat the syllables like Cherokee syllables... that
    >>> is, like Latin letters.
    >>
    >> OK; that's helpful.
    >
    > I'm glad.

    >>> That is Ken's bailiwick I guess.
    >>
    >> Well, I think Ken is dependent, like me, on the script experts out
    >> there spec'ing the desired behaviour.
    >
    > OK, I suck at properties, so use small words and ask me again.
    > "Intended"? Line breaks should not be permitted before SYLLABLE
    > LENGTHENER or NG. So... the properites shouldn't allow breaking before
    > them.
    If something extends a word that itself consists of characters with type
    AL, then making the extender also AL has the effect of keeping the word
    together.

    AL is a good default for anything that's not punctuation and that's to
    be kept with words.

    Special properties are needed usually only if something can occur
    separated from a word (e.g. following a close paren, for example, or
    inside a number) and/or where it doesn't follow a 'word' made of AL, but
    things like ID (ideograph) that themselves don't bind together.

    So, any marks that occur _only_ as part of words can be AL.