Re: vim and Arabic/Farsi support

From: Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven (asmodai@in-nomine.org)
Date: Mon Dec 03 2007 - 10:13:42 CST

    Hi Ed,

    [Please let me know if people deem this outside of Unicode's mailinglist
    scope.]

    -On [20071203 16:44], Ed Trager (ed.trager@gmail.com) wrote:
    > (1) Are you using vim with an RTL-capable terminal like mlterm?:
    >
    > http://mlterm.sourceforge.net/
    >
    >(2) Are you using vim in a UTF-8 locale?
    >
    > ~> LANG=en_US.UTF-8 mlterm &

    Actually I used it through PuTTY (using full Unicode translation) on a FreeBSD
    machine using en_US.UTF-8 as well as gvim on Windows XP.
    So in essence: FreeBSD + vim <> PuTTY on Windows XP

    The word in question is تغییر and when I copy it in Notepad or view the edited
    file (in vim) with Firefox it shows up as it should, that is:

    u+062a ARABIC LETTER TEH
    u+063a ARABIC LETTER GHAIN
    u+06cc ARABIC LETTER FARSI YEH
    u+06cc ARABIC LETTER FARSI YEH
    u+0631 ARABIC LETTER REH

    Now, in vim, when I copy it through PuTTY and paste it in Notepad I get: ﺖﻏییﺭ
    That is:

    u+fe96 ARABIC LETTER TEH FINAL FORM
    u+fecf ARABIC LETTER GHAIN INITIAL FORM
    u+06cc ARABIC LETTER FARSI YEH
    u+06cc ARABIC LETTER FARSI YEH
    u+fead ARABIC LETTER REH ISOLATED FORM

    I just noticed that when I copy from Firefox into gvim on Windows XP and then
    copy from gvim to paste into Notepad it does the right thing.
    So I guess that it might be PuTTY that's messing up something even though its
    translation is set to UTF-8.

    I just wonder why these letters would get so strangely corrupted along the
    way.

    イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
    http://www.in-nomine.org/ | http://www.rangaku.org/
    Audi partem alteram...