Re: vim and Arabic/Farsi support

From: Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven (asmodai@in-nomine.org)
Date: Mon Dec 03 2007 - 12:01:39 CST

    -On [20071203 17:34], Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven (asmodai@in-nomine.org) wrote:
    >Now, in vim, when I copy it through PuTTY and paste it in Notepad I get: ﺖﻏییﺭ
    >That is:
    >
    >u+fe96 ARABIC LETTER TEH FINAL FORM
    >u+fecf ARABIC LETTER GHAIN INITIAL FORM
    >u+06cc ARABIC LETTER FARSI YEH
    >u+06cc ARABIC LETTER FARSI YEH
    >u+fead ARABIC LETTER REH ISOLATED FORM

    To add and clarify (had to finish the other email in a haste):

    What I wrote here above is how I see it on vim on my FreeBSD box through PuTTY
    as well as in gvim on Windows XP. So leaving aside the strange translation
    behaviour of, I guess, PuTTY, clearly vim is showing the wrong characters.

    Ughn, to make it even more confusing (I just tested something):

    When I :set arabicshape I get ﺖﻏییﺭ, i.e. what I wrote above.
    When I :set noarabicshape I get تغییر, i.e. what I expect it to be.

    Arabicshape is, when on, the option that should enable the proper initials and
    so on.

    I'm thoroughly confused by now so any help/clarification is welcome.
    Man, dealing with East Asian glyphs is easy in comparison! :P

    イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
    http://www.in-nomine.org/ | http://www.rangaku.org/
    There is no joy in smallness. Joy is in the infinite...