Re: Miscellaneous Mathematical Symbols-A

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2007 - 08:52:29 CST

    Asmus Freytag wrote:

    > Given the history of the character additions in question, which were
    > added precisely to allow the STIX project to add them to their font,
    > Jukka's answer is unnecessarily dismissive.

    If I'm unnecessarily dismissive, how about the Unicode conformance
    requirements:

    "C3 A process shall not interpret an unassigned code point as an
    abstract character."

    Or the Unicode FAQ:

    "Q: Can applications simply use unassigned characters as they wish?
    A: No! No conformant Unicode implementation can use the un-encoded
    values outside of the private use area."

    If this is not meant to apply to unassigned code points for which an
    assignment has been planned, then the exception should be written loud
    and clear.

    > that would result in unnecessary duplicate coding if documents get
    > created both with PUA codes (for STIX fonts) and standard codes, for
    > any font suite that comes along just a bit later.

    This is still about proposed characters, and about characters with very
    limited scope of use (though surely important enough in that scope), so
    I don't see how it would hurt to keep things clear: they are now
    non-Unicode characters, which can be represented in Unicode data by
    private agreements; if and when a new version of the standard containing
    them has been approved, they become Unicode characters that should be
    encoded as indicated, and hence existing data containing them should be
    recoded. It's after all a straightforward operation, needed for limited
    amount of data only. Fonts will need similar adjustments.

    The risk of having a character's position changed or removed is probably
    very small if not negligible in this case, but an approach that uses
    unassigned code points would set a bad example.

    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/