Re: Miscellaneous Mathematical Symbols-A

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2007 - 08:21:23 CST

    Given the history of the character additions in question, which were
    added precisely to allow the STIX project to add them to their font,
    Jukka's answer is unnecessarily dismissive.

    Now that Unicode 5.1.0 is in beta, and that the code positions are not
    expected to change (see the beta documentation) it is definitely the
    correct time for font developers to work on integrating the necessary
    glyphs.

    In particular, the STIX project should be put on notice that these
    additions have reached the beta stage. It would be a shame if the final
    STIX fonts were delivered with PUA codes for these glyphs - that would
    result in unnecessary duplicate coding if documents get created both
    with PUA codes (for STIX fonts) and standard codes, for any font suite
    that comes along just a bit later.

    With endorsement from the American Mathematical Society, it can be
    expected that the STIX fonts will impact how documents are created, so
    it is important to get them to support Unicode 5.1.0 out of the box.

    A./