Re: Miscellaneous Mathematical Symbols-A

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2007 - 07:02:15 CST

    Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:

    > Are there characters planned for 5.1.0 for Miscellaneous Mathematical
    > Symbols-A at positions: ...

    I haven't checked, and I would not bother checking in a case like this:

    > I am currently reporting back to Stix on some of their fonts and they
    > implemented glyphs on these positions and for all I can see this is
    > still reserved space.

    If it is reserved space, it does not matter whether something is planned
    there now. It's incorrect to use such code positions anyway, even if you
    would thereby anticipate their future assignment. Private use code
    positions are a better choice.

    In _fonts_, the situation may be different: a position in a font need
    not correspond to a Unicode code position. This depends on the encoding
    of the font. The crucial question is: if you take some Unicode encoded
    data and use the font to render the text, will unassigned code numbers
    be presented properly (using symbols for unassigned positions) or as
    some graphic characters?

    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/