Re: Miscellaneous Symbols and Arrows

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2007 - 08:13:26 CST

    On 12/7/2007 3:47 AM, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:
    > Are there characters planned for 5.1.0 for Miscellaneous Mathematical
    > Symbols-A at positions:
    >
    > U+27cc
    > U+27ec
    > U+27ed
    > U+27ee
    > U+27ef
    >
    > I am currently reporting back to Stix on some of their fonts and they
    > implemented glyphs on these positions and for all I can see this is still
    > reserved space. (And ironically they did not implement U+27ca.)
    > Are any glyphs planned for these reserved positions:
    >
    > U+2b1b-U+2b1f
    > U+2b24-U+2b4c
    > U+2b50-U+2b54

    Jeroen.

    You can look at the 5.1.0 beta to see how these positions will be filled.
    According to the beta page, the code positions as such are now frozen.
    See http://www.unicode.org/Public/5.1.0/ucd/

    These characters are being added by Unicode in response to requests from
    the mathematical community, in particular people associated with the STIX
    effort. So it would make a lot of sense if the STIX fonts could be revised
    to take these code positions into account, before the fonts are shipped.

    The glyphs have not been published by Unicode, but you can see *draft*
    versions of them if you look for the JTC1/SC2/WG2 documents for
    the amendments being balloted. For example:

    http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3263.pdf
    http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3264.pdf

    (There are later versions of these documents, but I can't tell you off-hand
    whether that affects glyph details for the representative glyphs - in
    case of
    conflict, the names shown here are what you'd need to rely on. There was
    some issue about glyphs in relation to naming of the arrows in the
    2B30-2B4C range, so you'd need to come back and confirm how that
    was settled - I don't recall offhand.).

    27CC LONG DIVISION

    27EC MATHEMATICAL LEFT WHITE TORTOISE SHELL BRACKET
    27ED MATHEMATICAL RIGHT WHITE TORTOISE SHELL BRACKET
    27EE MATHEMATICAL LEFT FLATTENED PARENTHESIS
    27EF MATHEMATICAL RIGHT FLATTENED PARENTHESIS

    2B1B BLACK LARGE SQUARE
    2B1C WHITE LARGE SQUARE
    2B1D BLACK VERY SMALL SQUARE
    2B1E WHITE VERY SMALL SQUARE
    2B1F BLACK PENTAGON

    2B24 BLACK LARGE CIRCLE
    2B25 BLACK MEDIUM DIAMOND
    2B26 WHITE MEDIUM DIAMOND
    2B27 BLACK MEDIUM LOZENGE
    2B28 WHITE MEDIUM LOZENGE
    2B29 BLACK SMALL DIAMOND
    2B2A BLACK SMALL LOZENGE
    2B2B WHITE SMALL LOZENGE
    2B2C BLACK HORIZONTAL ELLIPSE
    2B2D WHITE HORIZONTAL ELLIPSE
    2B2E BLACK VERTICAL ELLIPSE
    2B2F WHITE VERTICAL ELLIPSE
    2B30 LEFT ARROW WITH SMALL CIRCLE
    2B31 THREE LEFTWARDS ARROWS
    2B32 LEFT ARROW WITH CIRCLED PLUS
    2B33 LONG LEFTWARDS SQUIGGLE ARROW
    2B34 LEFTWARDS TWO-HEADED ARROW WITH VERTICAL STROKE
    2B35 LEFTWARDS TWO-HEADED ARROW WITH DOUBLE VERTICAL STROKE
    2B36 LEFTWARDS TWO-HEADED ARROW FROM BAR
    2B37 LEFTWARDS TWO-HEADED TRIPLE DASH ARROW
    2B38 LEFTWARDS ARROW WITH DOTTED STEM
    2B39 LEFTWARDS ARROW WITH TAIL WITH VERTICAL STROKE
    2B3A LEFTWARDS ARROW WITH TAIL WITH DOUBLE VERTICAL STROKE
    2B3B LEFTWARDS TWO-HEADED ARROW WITH TAIL
    2B3C LEFTWARDS TWO-HEADED ARROW WITH TAIL WITH VERTICAL STROKE
    2B3D LEFTWARDS TWO-HEADED ARROW WITH TAIL WITH DOUBLE VERTICAL STROKE
    2B3E LEFTWARDS ARROW THROUGH X
    2B3F WAVE ARROW POINTING DIRECTLY LEFT
    2B40 EQUALS SIGN ABOVE LEFTWARDS ARROW
    2B41 REVERSE TILDE OPERATOR ABOVE LEFTWARDS ARROW
    2B42 LEFTWARDS ARROW ABOVE REVERSE ALMOST EQUAL TO
    2B43 RIGHTWARDS ARROW THROUGH GREATER-THAN
    2B44 RIGHTWARDS ARROW THROUGH SUPERSET
    2B45 LEFTWARDS QUADRUPLE ARROW
    2B46 RIGHTWARDS QUADRUPLE ARROW
    2B47 REVERSE TILDE OPERATOR ABOVE RIGHTWARDS ARROW
    2B48 RIGHTWARDS ARROW ABOVE REVERSE ALMOST EQUAL TO
    2B49 TILDE OPERATOR ABOVE LEFTWARDS ARROW
    2B4A LEFTWARDS ARROW ABOVE ALMOST EQUAL TO
    2B4B LEFTWARDS ARROW ABOVE REVERSE TILDE OPERATOR
    2B4C RIGHTWARDS ARROW ABOVE REVERSE TILDE OPERATOR

    2B50 WHITE MEDIUM STAR
    2B51 BLACK SMALL STAR
    2B52 WHITE SMALL STAR
    2B53 BLACK RIGHT-POINTING PENTAGON