RE: Miscellaneous Mathematical Symbols-A

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Sat Dec 08 2007 - 11:02:56 CST

    > From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org] On
    > Behalf Of Kenneth Whistler

    > > This is still about proposed characters,
    >
    > Actually, not...
    > At this point, they are:
    >
    > 1. Officially approved by the UTC for addition to a future
    > version of the standard, and that version of the standard
    > has also been designated now as Version 5.1 and is further in
    > its release process (which takes considerable time and
    > has a number of further checkpoints and milestones to go).
    > 3. Currently in FDAM ballot in ISO, which is a non-technical
    > approval ballot at the JTC1 level, allowing no technical
    > changes in content.
    >
    > What remains true right now is that ITTF hasn't yet published
    > Amendment 3 (for 27EC..27ED) or Amendment 4 (for 27CC, 27EE..27EF),
    > pending processing after the completion of what will be the
    > pro forma FDAM ballotting. So they aren't yet officially
    > part of the International Standard.

    What also remains true is that these are not implemented in a released product. We're talking about a case of a product team acting on stabilization guarantees in the processes of standardization bodies (in this case, that no technical comments can be made in an ISO FDAM ballot, hence no technical changes can be made between the FDAM document and the published amendment) to prepare products for release when either the ISO amendments or TUS5.1 are published.

    I really hope nobody objects to vendors that start preparing products to support anticipated updates to the Unicode Standard. (And even if somebody does object, I'm certainly going to do that anyway.)

    Peter