Re: Vai character use?

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Dec 08 2007 - 19:28:29 CST

    Peter Constable wrote,

    >> I'm inclined to graciously accept whatever is available.
    >
    > In general, total lack of vetting may get you into trouble.

    That's a safe observation to make. I'm compelled to point out, though,
    that gracious acceptance isn't necessarily the same as blind acceptance.

    >> In the case of the U.D.H.R. in Unicode Vai, the contributors' page at
    >> http://www.unicode.org/udhr/contributors.html
    >> says the Vai translation was facilitated by Charles Riley.
    >
    > I have confidence in the translation, then. But what about the typesetting?

    Isn't it the best typesetting of Unicode Vai you've ever seen?

    Since this is electronic text, a font developer may make any adjustments
    to glyph design and kerning deemed desirable, display the results with
    the font being developed, and compare those results with the original.

    Using a font during its development to populate charts is all very well.
    Displaying some kind of running text with that font is even better.
    So, having several pages of computer plain-text Unicode Vai is very
    helpful, indeed. Additional examples would be graciously accepted.

    Best regards,

    James Kass