Re: CLDR Usage of Gregorian Calendar Era Terms: BC and AD -- Can we please have "CE" and "BCE" ?

From: William J Poser (wjposer@ldc.upenn.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2007 - 23:38:22 CST

    I agree that CE and BCE should be available. Eliminating AD and BC
    is likely to pose a political problem as (some) right-wing Christians in the
    US consider the use of CE and BCE to be an assault on Christianity
    and have been making a stink about it. For example, the Conservapedia,
    an attempt at a right-wing Christian alternative to Wikipedia,
    makes a big point about using AD and BC rather than CE and BCE.

    I suggest UE and BUE for "Unix Era" and "Before Unix Era",
    which as is well known begins at midnight on January 1st, 1970.
    This has the additional advantage of deferring the Year 10K problem.
    Resistance from Redmond is, however, a serious possibility. In this
    case perhaps we could all agree on the nondenominational yet classic
    AUC (ab urbe condita).

    Bill