Re: CLDR Usage of Gregorian Calendar Era Terms: BC and AD -- Can we please have "CE" and "BCE" ?

From: Hans Aberg (haberg@math.su.se)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2007 - 03:44:29 CST

    On 20 Dec 2007, at 06:38, William J Poser wrote:

    > I suggest UE and BUE for "Unix Era" and "Before Unix Era",
    > which as is well known begins at midnight on January 1st, 1970.

    Note the difference between a calendar, which counts days, and a time
    measurement system. UNIX time is the latter.
       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time

    > This has the additional advantage of deferring the Year 10K problem.
    > Resistance from Redmond is, however, a serious possibility. In this
    > case perhaps we could all agree on the nondenominational yet classic
    > AUC (ab urbe condita).

    UNIX time has two problems: a discontinuity occurs in the face of a
    leap second, and when using 32-bit representation, it expires in 2038:
       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

    Extensions are already considered by simply using 128-bit
    representation:
       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Time_Protocol#NTP_timestamps

       Hans Åberg