RE: [OT] Re: CLDR Usage of Gregorian Calendar Era Terms: BC and AD -- Can we please have "CE" and "BCE" ?

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2007 - 08:48:09 CST

    > From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org] On
    > Behalf Of John Hudson

    > I believe tolerance is about how we treat people, not how we treat
    > ideas.

    ++1. I think our society has a bit of a philosophic illness that mixes that up, and that says that ideas need to be tolerated unless they contradict the proposition that ideas need to be tolerated.

    I sat in a workgroup recently discussing organizational values. The group had to explore what certain values meant and entailed, and one of these was wisdom. The group started down a path saying that wisdom entailed openness to all kinds of ideas, and passing that on openly. That was just politically-correct silliness: I pointed out that, without evaluating and making judgments on those ideas, that's just parroting; a tape recorder would have more wisdom by that definition than any human. Wisdom most certainly entails uneven tolerance of ideas.

    Peter