Re: Masri Ya'

From: arno (arno@zedat.fu-berlin.de)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2007 - 10:35:12 CST

    Andreas Prilop wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Dec 2007, Khaled Hosny wrote:
    >
    >> Even the retroflex ya' (yeh barre) is a variation of the regular ya'
    >> used by calligraphers on artistic basis with no different semantics
    >> (I don't know if it has adifferent meaning than regular ya' in Urdu).
    >
    > U+06D2 means final "e" or final "ai" in Urdu:
    > http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/arabic-extended.html6
    > http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/urdu-alphabet.html6

    thanks for the information
    It is one of many reasons that I doubt that there can be meanigful
    description of what John calls "the script tradition" that can be at
    odds with a "Unicode typesetting model".
    There are serval letters used in Pakistan like teh with two vertical
    dots above (u+067A), beh with two vertical dots below (u+067B) or heh
    doachashmee (u+06BE) -- in arabic these are just glyph variants of beh
    and heh. For good Arabic typesetting one must find a way to use the
    glyphs of exotic letters as presentation forms of standard Arabic letters.

    For example we have u+069B "seen with three dots below" with some
    meaning in an African language (???), but in Arabic it is one of four
    ways to write a normal seen with the added "meaning" "not sheen" --
    these alternative glyphs were originally used only in partially dotted
    text, where the author only dots when he suspects some confusion. But
    later these "seen-not-sheen" glyphs were used as
    calligraphic/typographic alternatives (to make use of Johns distinction
    between typographic and orthographic).

    Arno