Re: CLDR Usage of Gregorian Calendar Era Terms: BC and AD -- Can we please have "CE" and "BCE" ?

From: Raymond Mercier (rm459@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2007 - 10:56:59 CST

    John H. Jenkins wrote
    > BTW, if it's any consolation, Joseph Needham attempted to use a new
    > convention in his _Science and Civilisation in China_ by using negative
    > year numbers instead of BC/BCE. IIRC this has the side effect of adding
    > a year 0 and making a one-year difference in all pre- AD/CE dates.
    > Fortunately, his convention seems not to have caught on and CLDR is
    > mercifully freed from the need to support it.

    It is true that Needham in SCC took BC dates and tried to make them
    'culturally neutral' by simply substituting a negative sign for BC, but he
    did not have a year 0. Unfortunately this clashed with the astronomers'
    convention where the the BC years are made 'negative', but with shift of one
    and a year 0, so making the scheme algebarically consistent. For astronomers
    the interval from BC 5 to 5 AD is 5 - (-4) = 9, which is correct, but for
    Needham it would be 5 - (-5) =10.

    Raymond Mercier