Re: A weird character I saw last week

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Wed Dec 26 2007 - 16:06:48 CST

    Upshur Whittock wrote:

    > My father in law is the music minister at a Presbyterian church near
    > Washington. Last week at church, we sang a hymn that was based on a
    > Polish folk hymn, and the name had a "w" with a cedilla (not a comma)
    > underneath.

    It might help to know the name of the hymn, or at least the word where
    "w" with cedilla appears. Was the name hand-written or printed or
    produced with a word processor?

    > Has anybody ever come across such a thing?

    I haven't, and it sounds odd. Polish does not use the cedilla, and in
    Unicode, the only precomposed character of the type "w with ... below"
    is w with dot below. So it would be some ancient or specialized, fairly
    rare orthography.

    > Does anybody know if
    > this is just some weird one of a kind aberrance, or whether there
    > might be some history of this letter being used?

    I would vote for a casual error in data, but I cannot imagine any
    particular reason why it would appear. In some other context, it might
    be an attempt at adding a diacritic on "w" and producing a wrong one,
    but Polish uses no diacritic on "w".

    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/