Re: chairless hamza (in reply to Khaled)

From: arno (arno@zedat.fu-berlin.de)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2008 - 16:03:42 CST

    Khaled Hosny wrote:

    >> In Unicode there are two kinds of hamza for Arabic (and some exotic ones):
    >> chaired hamza. i.e. above or below alef, above (or below) yeh, above waw
    >> (( I put or below in parenthesis because this
    >> handled now by font technology.))
    >> chairless hamza, which occurs in MSA only after right-joining letters
    >> -- or am I wrong??
    >
    > According to the book published here
    > http://www.islamguiden.com/arabi/index.htm, which is written by an
    > Arabic language a scholar and member of Academy of the Arabic Language
    > in Cairo (according to the site),

    > Hamza in the middle always have a
    > chair unless it is after right-joining letters.

    > The other cases where it
    > should be chairless in Quranic Arabic, it got replaced by Hamza on Yeh
    > Alef, شيئا and يسأل for example
    > (http://www.islamguiden.com/arabi/m_a_r_61.htm#l3).

    Dear Khaled,
    if I understand you correctly, what I have stated above is correct:

    chairless hamza in MSA only after right-joining letters
        in this case there is no difference to the orthography of the copy
    of the
        Quran printed in Qahira 1924, which is the same as used now in the
    Saudi
        standard Qur'an
    charless hamaza after dual-joining letter AND before dual- or
    right-joining letter occurs NEVER in MSA

    hence no confusion possible,
    hence John's fears griundless.