Re: chairless hamza (in reply to John)

From: arno (arno@zedat.fu-berlin.de)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2008 - 02:45:33 CST

    John Hudson wrote:
    > Whether chairless hamza is addressed at the new character level (as
    > suggested by Khaled) or at the character properties level (as suggested
    > by you) or at the display level (as suggested by me), layout engines and
    > fonts are going to need to be updated to take handle it correctly.

    My impression is that layout engines will be much more likely to be
    changed to the proper behaviour (for good fonts) when the proper
    behaviour is not only proper for Arabic but Unicode compliant as well.
    I have a problem with fonts doing something against unicode as you
    propose (dispaly level behaviour in contravention of the properties
    defined in unicode). Maybe I am too law obedient, but (as stated above)
    I fear Microsoft, Apple and LinuxIncorp are even more law conscious.