Re: chairless hamza

From: Behnam (behnam.rassi@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2008 - 08:16:40 CST

    I'm not dogmatic either. I can go along with the suggestion of re-
    defining the behaviour of current letter hamza. But only because I,
    with my limited knowledge, can't see an adverse affect. And I think
    this is a risky business.
    If hamza is used in Persian for Arabic words, as they are, in many
    other languages it is used to express the phonetic needs of their own
    native tongues. I have no knowledge of that and I don't know how it
    is being used and how it affects those languages... if hamza doesn't
    stop the joining behaviour of characters.
    So at least, this proposal requires a much more profound study of the
    role of hamza in all languages of Arabic script.
    On the other hand, a proposal for a Qur'ân specific hamza will not
    affect the status quo and any language at all. And if this option is
    considered, maybe we should also consider to resolve this issue at
    font level, since for Koranic expression, a very fine tuned and
    heavily tailored font (and/or application) is often needed anyway.

    Behnam