additional combining small latin letter

From: André Szabolcs Szelp (a.sz.szelp@gmx.net)
Date: Sun Jan 06 2008 - 15:18:36 CST

    Hello,

    I was reading the propsal with the signature ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2/WG2 N3027
    L2/06-027 2006-01-30 (M.Everson et al. about the encoding of medievalist characters), and a question occured in me.

    It says:
    "8. Combining characters. Thirteen combining superscript letters are already encoded to represent medieval Germanic manuscripts. These comprise half of the basic Latin alphabet, shown in bold type here: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz. We propose to add seven more basic superscript letters attested in medieval manuscripts which will bring the repertoire to 20 of the 26 letters: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz. (It should be noted that of the traditional Latin alphabet, if these ten are added, only *COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER B, *COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER F, *COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER J, *COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER P, *COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER Q, and *COMBINING SMALL LETTER W will remain unencoded.) [...]"

    In scope of this, would a single example of a COMBINING SMALL LETTER W in a manuscript be enought to have it encoded? I believe to have seen it in a facsimile of one (I believe 15th century) and I might be able to dig it out...

    Regards,
       Szabolcs