Regarding binary combining accents and grouping characters

From: Thomas Abraham (tomuhs@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2008 - 04:07:59 CST

    Hello All,
                I am Thomas Abraham working at National Centre for Science
    Information, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India.

    1. Is it possible to implement
       * a generic subscript/superscript combining accent,
       * and/or a generic division combining accent
         in unicode?

    2. Does the above problem comes under the scope of Unicode?

          So far almost all the combining accent we have seen across are unary.
    They combine to exactly one character on its left side or right side.

    But in our problem combining accents requires
    [i] Binary operator
         It needs to take two characters and combine them.
         Example: x [combined accent for subscript] y

    [ii] Grouping of characters (optional)
          Instead of taking the two characters, it may take two groups of
    characters and combine them.
          Example : x [combined accent for subscript] (grouping character:
    begin) y (grouping character: end)

    Does supporting the grouping characters comes under the Unicode too?

    Thanks in advance,

    with regards

    Thomas Abraham