Re: Viewing Source...

From: Adam Twardoch (list.adam@twardoch.com)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2008 - 12:45:46 CST

    David Starner wrote:
    > What do you mean look at the source? Word doesn't have user-visible
    > source,

    Last I checked, the latest versions of Word for both Mac and Windows use
    an XML-based format (a ZIP archive containing XML files, with a .docx
    extension), which I'd certainly call "user-visible source".

    Damon Anderson wrote:
    > What is happening and why/how is the Unicode being recoded or
    > displayed in non-unicode format in the source?

    The Word source format (.docx) is Unicode-based. The text in .docx is
    stored using UTF-8, so there is no need to use escaping using numerical
    entities. I recommend you google for UTF-8 for more details. Wikipedia
    has a good article on it.

    --
    Adam Twardoch