Re: chairless hamza (summary)

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2008 - 22:21:43 CST

    Khaled Hosny wrote:

    > I think, after this discussion, there is a general agreement on the
    > desired behaviour of hamza in classic Arabic orthography, which is:
    > * Transparent character when laying between a Right join-causing and
    > Left join-causing causing characters.
    > * Non-joining in other cases.

    > As far as Arabic is concerned, this desired behaviour doesn't break
    > existing text as the first case is not allowed according to modern
    > Arabic spelling rules, and is valid only in classical Arabic (including
    > Quran).

    Are these 'rules' of modern Arabic spelling de jure rules, i.e. are they defined by some
    appropriate authority, or are they simply the outcome of de facto usage? If the latter,
    then are they reflected in handwriting as well as in computer-set text? And how long have
    these rules either been in place (if de jure) or been observable (if de facto)?

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Gulf Islands, BC      tiro@tiro.com