Re: Latin J capital letter with caron

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2008 - 12:09:22 CST

    Raymond Mercier wrote,

    >>> J̌: U+004a + U+0030c
    >>>
    >>> It works with Doulos SIL, at least.
    >>>
    >> It doesn't work at all with many other fonts. I suspect the main problem
    >
    > That is certainly true, but I thought that was the whole point of using Doulos SIL, to be able to combine such diacritical marks
    > in a more or less arbitrary way. It show up fine in my Outlook Express, with the fonts set at Arial and Courier New.

    Then you must have newer versions of Arial and Courier. Are you
    using Windows Vista?

    The core versions of Arial and Courier New do not display this combination
    correctly on my system, Windows XP SP2.

    But, other fonts installed here *do* display the combination correctly.
    The Doulos SIL font certainly displays this combination well, as long
    as the operating system ("Uniscribe") is up-to-date.

    Links for Doulos SIL:
    http://scripts.sil.org/DoulosSILFont
    http://scripts.sil.org/DoulosSIL_download

    In any case, the correct way to encode it is with the string
    U+004A U+030C, as others have already mentioned.

    Display problems associated with such combinations will disappear
    eventually as systems and fonts get updated/upgraded.

    Best regards,

    James Kass