Re: Latin J capital letter with caron

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2008 - 13:22:46 CST

    Raymond Mercier

    >>>Then you must have newer versions of Arial and Courier. Are you
    >>>using Windows Vista?
    >>>The core versions of Arial and Courier New do not display this combination
    >>>correctly on my system, Windows XP SP2.
    >
    > I am using XP+SP2, with just the original fonts of that system.
    > Uniscribe is 1.420.2600.2180.

    Neither Arial nor Courier New on XP+SP2 even have a glyph for
    the combining caron. What should display (in a plain text editor,
    at least) is the Arial or Courier "J" followed by a little box.

    Your system is probably engaging in some behind-the-scenes
    font-fiddling.

    > The attached image is from the original message in OE, but quotations of
    > that in later messages do not show up J+caron properly.

    The image shows rich text display rather than plain text. On my
    system, all subsequent messages display the combination properly,
    but that's because I have OE configured to display only plain text
    and have selected an appropriate display font.

    Best regards,

    James Kass