Re: Latin J capital letter with caron

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2008 - 16:57:30 CST

    On 1/16/2008 2:42 PM, Kenneth Whistler wrote:
    >> On 1/16/2008 1:11 PM, Kenneth Whistler wrote:
    >>
    >>> Asmus,
    >>>

    >> Ken,
    >>

    >> All I see on that page is J followed by a box. ;-)
    >>

    > I was not referring to that page, but to an actual, printed,
    > hard copy of ISO 9 that I was holding in my hands, which
    > also has columns for elegant hand-written cursive forms
    > of both the lowercase and uppercase of all the Cyrillic
    > letters, as well.

    Ah. Should have trained my webcam over your shoulder ;-)

    >> That's a nice and definite statement - perhaps you'll suggest this to the
    >> person editing the Unicode chapter on combining marks :-)
    >>

    > O.k.
    >

    >> Seriously, improving the delineation of hacek in specific from caron in
    >> general is worthwhile.
    >>

    > Trying to make a distinction between "hacek" and "caron"
    > is not useful, I think. Note that the Americanist
    > orthography has always called this a "hacek", too --
    > not a "caron".

    Well, we know the (lack of a definite) word-origin of the latter. I was
    trying to use
    these labels as shorthand for their glyph variants, not to differentiate
    them as *characters*.
    > "Caron", as we've investigated
    > before on this list, is just an obscure, alternate label
    > invented somewhere early in the annals of character
    > encoding, for hacek -- perhaps only because proper
    > spelling of hacek requires a hacek -- which wasn't in
    > the list of characters used for names. It might be that
    > simple.
    >
    > *makes up the possible discussion*
    >
    > Delegate from Slovakia: You can't spell "WITH HACEK" that
    > way -- it has a hacek on the C.
    >
    > Convenor from Switzerland: Well, we can only use ASCII A-Z
    > in character names.
    >
    > Delegate from Slovakia: Well, it's spelled wrong, and that
    > isn't acceptable to us.
    >
    > Convenor from Switzerland (with a straight face):
    > In Swiss French we call it a "caron",
    > and there wouldn't be any trouble
    > spelling that.
    >
    > Delegate from Slovakia: Really?
    >
    > Convenor from Switzerland: Yes, so let's just use that term
    > instead. *aside to editor* Just change
    > them all to "WITH CARON" and let's move
    > on.

    Every character has a screenplay!

    I hope Unicode has reserved the rights to all such derivative works so
    future standardization
    work can be financed with the royalties.

    A./