Re: Character proposal: LOWER TEN

From: Leo Broukhis (leob@mailcom.com)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2008 - 11:05:50 CST

    On Jan 18, 2008 8:12 AM, Mark Davis <mark.davis@icu-project.org> wrote:
    > We only encode new characters when there is no way to represent the
    > characters otherwise in Unicode.

    To wit: U+2254 ≔ COLON EQUAL and U+2A74 (⩴) DOUBLE COLON EQUAL

    In a sense they belong to the same class as "lower ten" being an
    ALGOL character and an ALGOL meta-character.
    What was the convincing argument for their inclusion?

    Leo

    PS. I've changed the proposed character name- as printed, it did not
    descend as much as the subscript digits would, if at all, as
    all-capital drum printers and tele-typewriters had very little space
    under the baseline.

    PS. I Started writing a proposal and will post my humble attempt at it
    (is .odf OK?) shortly.