Re: Proposal to encode three combining diacritical marks for Low German dialect writing

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2008 - 18:54:30 CST

    > >Regarding the proposed COMBINING STRAIGHT RIGHT-POINTING HOOK BELOW
    > >and its similarity to the existing U+0238 COMBINING OGONEK, the
    > >similarity is only very superficial.
    >
    > I disagree. The ogonek, while used in Polish and Lithuanian and
    > Navajo, has been widely used in Germanic linguistics, for instance in
    > Old Norse.
    >
    > >The proposed character has a straight vertical stem and attaches to
    > >the center or something left of the center of its base character.
    > >Thus, it has the general shape of a Greek small iota.
    >
    > In some fonts. In what way does it contrast with an ogonek, as for
    > instance, used in Old Norse?
    >
    > >On the other side, the stem of the ogonek is slanted or bent to the
    > >upper right, and attaches to the right of its base character.
    > >(see attacted picture.)
    >
    > I see. I think this is an artefact of a particular font, rather than
    > a principled difference from the ogonek.

    Having looked at the original proposal and the various other
    exhibit pictures offered so far, I still agree with Michael.
    There are even more forms of right hooks that can be dug out
    in old books, including ones that look like reversed cedillas,
    and will all manner of slanting and attachment and bowl
    shapes on the hooks.

    Trying to pick one of these forms out to encode a separate
    character for it wouldn't be a net positive for the standard,
    IMO -- it would increase the problems in how to represent
    text consistently, rather than decrease them.

    > Now it is true that in Germanic
    > linguistics the ogonek is usually used for nasalization. Have you
    > considered U+031C COMBINING LEFT HALF RING BELOW (which is used for
    > open vowels) or indeed U+0345 COMBINING GREEK YPOGEGRAMMENI?

    As I see it there are two kinds of distinctions to be
    made here:

    1. Functionally different diacritics used typically to
       represent different phonetic attributes:

       a. nasalization

       b. openness of vowel

    2. Formally different typical representative glyph shapes

       a. the right-facing left half ring shape below, never attached

       b. the "ogonek" hook below, sometimes attached, sometimes not

    The IPA uses the combining tilde (U+0303) to represent
    nasalization, and uses the combining left half ring (U+031C)
    to represent openness of vowels.

    Other orthographies use the combining ogonek (U+0328) to
    represent nasalization.

    What Karl is reporting for some low German dialect transcription
    practice is use of a glyph which falls within the range
    of variation for the combining ogonek to represent openness
    of vowels.

    Rather than encode yet another combining diacritic character
    for this, with a shape that would confuse because of its
    overlap with the hooks for ogoneks, and for a usage that
    overlaps functionally with already existing diacritics,
    I think the answer for representation of these Low German
    dialect transcription conventions is either:

    A. State that the hook is represented in Unicode with
    the combining ogonek (U+0328), because in these materials
    no contrast is required between that and a hook
    representing nasalization (since that is not used), so
    as to get more accurate represention of *FORM* using
    default fonts. (Of course a specialized font could
    get the exact shape required.)

    B. State that the hook is represented in Unicode with
    the combining left half ring (U+031C), in line with
    IPA usage, so as to get more accurate representation
    of *FUNCTION*, while sacrificing a little more in
    formal resemblance to the original type style when
    using default fonts. (Of course a specialized font
    could get the exact shape required.)

    By the way, I would *not* advise making use of U+0345
    COMBINING IOTA BELOW for this, as that doesn't really
    share either function or form with this particular
    hook, and has completely wrong properties as well.

    --Ken