Re: Proposal to encode three combining diacritical marks for Low German dialect writing

From: Karl Pentzlin (karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2008 - 18:35:26 CST

    Am Samstag, 19. Januar 2008 um 00:41 schrieb Kenneth Whistler:

    KW> Karl Pentzlin kakimasita:

    kakimasita ??

    KW> So do I. Could one of you suggest appropriate wording for
    KW> a short (preferably one-line) annotation for U+0329 indicating that
    KW> the whether or not the glyph for U+0329 attaches to the
    KW> bottom of base letters is a matter of font design and/or
    KW> local preference?

    [after: · Yoruba]
    · German dialect writing
    · The lenght, attachment to the base character or slanting on use with
      italic fonts depends on local preference

    KW> For the record, I agree with Michael and James about the
    KW> ogonek, as well.

    Here, I still not stay convinced. Look at:
    http://www.sprachatlas.phil.uni-erlangen.de/materialien/Teuthonista_Handbuch.pdf
    (German), where you find hooks to denote openness of vowels (like the
    one contained in my draft proposal) which are definitely distinct from ogonek.
    As far as I know now, these hooks are the ones related with the one proposed
    in my draft.

    I deliberately decided not to refer to Teuthonista in my proposal
    draft, but this maybe was wrong.
    Teuthonista is used by some universities in Southern Germany. The
    users I have contacted are happy with their legacy 8-bit encodings.
    Making a proposal to encode Teuthonista would probably rise
    interesting discussions, as it would add Tibetan-like stacking to the
    Latin script (unless you encode all possible vertical combinations as
    single characters, as the legacy 8-bit encodings do).

    (Sorry, I cannot continue the discussion at the moment. It is 1:00 AM
    here now, and today I will leave for a two week vacation without
    knowing whether I have Internet access there.)

    - Karl Pentzlin