RE: Unicode Transliteration Guidelines released

From: Richard Ishida (ishida@w3.org)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2008 - 13:12:04 CST

    The things you describe at the beginning of your list below are what I would call transcriptions, rather than transliterations. There is no need to represent the case of the source in those, I agree. But equally, for many scripts there is no reliable way to easily reconstruct the source script from something like IPA.

    What I'm talking about is what I called transliteration, and defined as a method of converting text that allows you to recreate the original source from the target (ie. reversability). If you want to do that for a source script that is multicameral, you would need some way of capturing whether the source contained upper or lower case characters.*

    This discussion is exactly why I wrote earlier that I think the Transliteration Guidelines document should be more careful in separating, describing and labeling these two different approaches.

    RI

    * You could of course use ʃ in a 'transliteration scheme' if you included additional information, such as, say, an up-arrow immediately afterwards to indicate when it should be converted to an upper case character.

    Richard Ishida
    Internationalization Lead
    W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)

    http://www.w3.org/International/