RE: Unicode Transliteration Guidelines released

From: William J Poser (wjposer@ldc.upenn.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2008 - 19:33:28 CST

    I second Ken's view. "transliteration" simply does not have the
    narrow definitions that several people on this list attribute to it,
    whatever ideas may have sprung up about this in some engineering circles.
    I've been a linguist for thirty years, specializing in phonetics,
    phonology, and writing systems, and have done a good deal of
    computational work in this area as well. In my experience, the
    term "transliteration" is used for a wide variety of mappings from
    one writing system to another, not restricted to bijections. To be
    blunt, several of you have no idea what you are talking about.

    In any case, this has nothing to do with Unicode and has several people
    have said belongs on another list.

    Bill