Re: FWD: 2008 UN Year of Languages. 2008-02-28 International Mother Language Day

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2008 - 21:59:11 CST

    > Announcement - 2008 Year of Languages

    > The year 2008 has been proclaimed International Year of Languages by
    > the United Nations General Assembly. With the slogan "languages
    > matter!"

    Thereby demonstrating a remarkable infelicity of language and ponderous cliché. I wonder
    if the UN has a whole string of such slogans -- woman matter! children matter! minorities
    matter! water matters! -- the insistent formula of which seems unlikely to inspire the
    respect that the things themselves plainly deserve.

    JH

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Gulf Islands, BC      tiro@tiro.com